MRI uses a powerful magnetic field, radio frequency pulses and a computer to produce detailed pictures of organs, soft tissues, bone and nearly all other internal body structures.
At Perry County Memorial Hospital (PCMH), we offer the most advanced MRI technology clinically available. PCMH is the first critical access hospital in the state of Missouri and in the Southeast region to offer a 3 Tesla MRI.
Here's an overview of the benefits of the 3 Tesla MRI machine:
- Superb quality. The 3 Tesla MRI boasts the strongest magnet field strength used today. The higher the strength, the more clarity and detail is provided in the image, helping physicians in diagnosis.
- A wide range of uses. It can be used for many applications, including neurology, "functional neurology", orthopedic cartilage assessment; and breast, vascular, and cardiac imaging.
- Comfort. With one foot of headroom, you won't feel like you are nose to nose with the top of the magnet. We also have an iPod docking station and music system. Feel free to bring in your iPod, iPhone, or favorite CD so you can listen to your own music during your exam.
- Speed. Our MRI uses Total Imaging Matrix (TIM™) technology to scan multiple areas of the body at one time, which means the test is over faster than a traditional MRI.
Preparing for an MRI
If you have a pacemaker, you CANNOT have an MRI.
The only patient preps for MRI's are those listed below:
- Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA): Drink four to six glasses of clear liquids the day before the exam.
- Magnetic Resonance Cholangiopancreatography (MRCP): Do not eat or drink anything after midnight. If scanning is to be performed the same day as the test is ordered, do not have anything to eat or drink for at least four hours before the exam.
PCMH Radiology Department
For questions: 573-768-3295
To schedule an appointment: 573-547-4288
Back to top »
Learn more about health care »